Thursday, March 7, 2013

Big Work

Some days it's easy to feel small and insignificant in a stagnant environment which I've tried for a year and a half to change for the better. When I'm feeling down, I often pull out my students' past work to remind me of the lessons learned or to simply have a good laugh. From philosophical essays on the smell of love to advice on how to use a condom, my students have so much to share with the world.

In honor of International Women's Day this Friday, let's start with two essays that girls wrote to practice the 2nd conditional. Enjoy!

-------------------------------------------------------
 
"If I Were a Boy" by Sen Srey Huy
 
If I were a boy, I would go anywhere and would not need cooking a food. I would not like work house. I would freedom and I would easy wear cloth. I would have time to study a lot and I would go to work part time for help my family. So my sister would study English and my parents would have money for buy a thing support family. and I would help a girl when she had accident. etc. "If I were a boy".
 
-------------------------------------------------------
 
"If I Were a Boy" by Khen Sovanapha
 
IF I were a boy, I would became a strong man. I would find a good job and contine to study at university. After that when I finished, I would earn a lot of money to support money to my family exspecially my parents and also I would make my relatives and my parents became persons who have a happenes family. Furdermore when I have money alots, I would marry with a beautiful girl who has a good knowlage and have best job also. Furdermore she would love and look after my parents well. After that If I have alot of money, I would take my wife travel at the famous Country.
 
-------------------------------------------------------
 
"The Smell of Love" by Phanny
 
Love smells like dog shit. When the girl meet the handsome boy she will fall in love with him and she walk on the road and doesn't see the road and the road has a dog shit and she stop on it and she doesn't know and go and talk with the boy and they were in love. While they were talking they smell the dog shit and when they at the ground and see that ther slipper got a dog shit. And when the girl and the boy smell the dog shit they will remember when they first meet. And their love smells like dog shit.
 
-------------------------------------------------------
 
The following are postcards which my 9th graders wrote for my mom.
 


What a bunch of lies! My students were not at Angkor Wat. They give away their bluff when they claim that it has a lot of new buildings...
 

 
Again, they were not in Phnom Penh. Also, isn't it hard to miss someone you've never met? These students must have had maps on their minds... What they intended the stamp image to be, I can only imagine.
 
-------------------------------------------------------
 
The following are posters my students made in groups after learning about HIV transmission and proper condom usage.
 

My sitemate, Dave, must have been doing some nude modeling for this campaign against HIV. Not sure how I feel about the mullet, Dave...
 


Teens and their creepy vampire/werewolf dramas... Isn't this getting a little out of control?
 


My student came up with this important idea about blood transfusions all on her own. It wasn't even part of the curriculum.
 


Were the labels really necessary?
 

 
So much good information!
 
 
I did not teach them that they must wash their hands before condom use. That was their own idea. Also, I'm so relieved to know that these students don't have enough experience to know that banana is a flavor, not a scent.
 
-------------------------------------------------------
 
Finally, the all-time best exposition of my service - For the International Creative Writing Competition, students were asked if anything is purely good or evil. One girl masterfully incorporated her faith into her answer.
 
"Is Anything Purely Good or Bad?" by Bol Sinuon
 
Everything that I know on the world is so beautiful because when I born I saw everything that my Father make is so great for me because when I born I don’t have anything but my Father always bless and help me now I Can write about the purely good. The purely good For me is my God. My God is always help me like support care bless a lot of mercy I remember one time when I Sick. my mom g’went to work don’t have someone stay with me. I ran to the toilet and ate to much. ho! I forget don’t have anything here. I went to do big work. when my mom Came she say ho! Smell Something bad from the toilet. What happen baby. anden she think. I Cook food in the toilet she don’t know when I went to totel and did big work. On the moment she saw the pupup on the cooker. Say Scream. ho my food. So nice today because I not yet but the season when She Saw me the toilet she say Thanks baby! The food today is meal with pupup But foralongtime. I know Jesus I don’t Care about anything that happen for me like some time I don’t have the food to eat but I reallry happy because. my God Can die For me and he blood Can give me have the life. and I Can do anything today that I like my God is the Father that love. me to much on the world. I think is the purely for me is my God. because everything that have in the world. is my Father make only I want to tell you Jesus love you !
 
-------------------------------------------------------
 
Thank you so much to everyone who has donated towards my school's library project! Only $596 to go! If you would like to make a donation, please click the link below:
 


No comments:

Post a Comment