Friday, July 20, 2012

20 Questions


The following is an abridged transcription of about 45 minutes worth of English class today. We’re working on our critical thinking skills…

Me: Today we’re going to play a game called “20 Questions.” [Explanation of game] Now I’m writing the secret word in my notebook. [Writes “rice”] Who wants to ask a question?
Student: Is it a person?
Me: No.
Student: Is it dark?
Me: No.
Student: Is it bigger than a marker?
Me: No. Well, one piece is not.
Student: Is it bigger than a house?
Me: No…
Student: Is it bigger than me?
Me: No… I already told you it is not bigger than a marker, so it is also not bigger than a house or you. Please ask a different question.
Student: Is it bigger than a bag?
Me: No, I told you already. It is smaller than a marker. Please ask a different kind of question. Don’t ask about the size.
Student: Is it bigger than a pin?
Me: Yes. Well, one piece is shorter than a pin but fatter than a pin. Instead of comparison questions, ask a question using an adjective.
Student: Is it bigger than a pencil?
Me: Please ask a different kind of question. No… It’s not bigger than a pencil.
Student: Is it bigger than a nail?
Me: No…! It is smaller than a nail but bigger than a pin. [Draws nail and pin on board so that other students can understand, gestures with hand to show exactly how big a grain of rice is]
Student: I know in Khmer, but I don’t know in English. [Shows me a piece of string he found on the ground]
Me: No.
Student: Oh, hair!
Me: No. Nine questions left. Think about it. It’s small and not dark. You can ask questions about how you use it…
Student: Is it older than you?
Me: No, it is fresh when you use it.
Student: Is it older than me?
Me: No… it is new when you use it.
Student: Is it white?
Me: Yes! It is small and white. Ask me about how you use it.
Student: Do you use it for comfortable?
Me: I don’t understand your question… [Doesn’t count question toward 20]
Student: Is it a bad man?
Me: No… You already asked me if it is a person. I said, “No.” [Slightly frustrated] Ask me how you can use it.
Student: Is it quiet?
Me: Ask me if you can eat it.
Student: Is it…
Me: [Interrupting] Ask me if you can eat it!
Student: [Unhappily] Can you eat it?
Me: Yes! Now think about it! It’s small, white, and something you eat… every day. What is it?
Student: Is it quiet??
Me: Yes, very quiet.
Student: [After a long thoughtful pause] It is rice.

2 comments:

  1. this is hilarious. actually dying right now. tu me manques! love reading your blog and hearing about everything you're doing. also, good ol stephanie cox came by the post office the other day (where im working this summer) and asked about you. she wanted to know if youve been using your singing talents at all. :) mon ami, de winfield, iowa..

    ReplyDelete
  2. As I read this, laughing hysterically, Kirk decided to come over and see what I was up to. I told him to read your post and we had a nice laugh together. Thanks for providing us with some weekend entertainment. :)

    ReplyDelete