Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Les Is More: Politicking in the Corps

“Think of celebrated heads of state or especially great communicators. Did they have brains or knowledge? Don’t make me laugh! They were popular! Please… It’s all about popular. It’s not about aptitude, it’s the way you’re viewed. So, it’s very shrewd to be very very popular like me.”

While it’s common for me to have lines from musicals running through my head willy-nilly, Galinda’s advice has been on repeat lately. Presently, Peace Corps Cambodia is in the midst of an election which is as fierce as George Washington and all of Delaware in some districts (pretty darn fierce!) and as tame as tea in others. In one week, all K5 volunteers will have the opportunity to cast their votes for a representative to the Volunteer Advisory Committee (VAC), a group which works with senior PC staff to develop and disseminate information about policies and share concerns about volunteer working and living conditions in Cambodia.

In many ways, I think Galinda’s analysis is apt. Running in an election requires you to be shrewd, and the success of your campaign depends greatly on how you’re perceived, not necessarily on how well you would perform the duties of the position. As I’ve never thought of myself as shrewd or a particularly popular person, elections are somewhat awkward for me. While I believe in my skills and track record over the past year, it was difficult to tell a friend (softly but shrewdly) that I think I am a better candidate for the position. Similarly unusual was the attention of supporters “liking” a campaign poster another friend, Erik, posted for me on Facebook.

I’ve come to realize that while I may not have been very popular in high school, my environment has changed. At Carleton and in the Peace Corps, I’m surrounded by like-minded people who are thoughtful and ambitious. We share similar experiences and values, and among these people my uniqueness is appreciated. I’m thankful for the support of these friends, and I feel truly uplifted knowing that they trust me and see me as a responsible representative.

Currently, my district falls into the “tame as tea” category as I will likely run unopposed in the upcoming election. I’m looking forward to representing the great people of the Southwest. Here’s to many fruitful discussions of the motorcycle policy, the living allowance, and of course, bicycles at the Peace Corps office.

No comments:

Post a Comment