Friday, August 24, 2012

Indonesia


In between reality tv masterpieces like Rick’s Restorations, Undercover Boss, Secret Millionaire, and Pawn Stars, one of the cable networks has been running a commercial which asks, “When is the last time you said, ‘wow?’” Fortunately, this week I’ve said “wow” many times. Indonesia is an impressive country, and I’ve truly enjoyed my time here.

I arrived on Wednesday the 15th in Medan and met my friend and host, Den, at the airport. We made two stops in the big city (3rd largest in Indo). First, we dined in a classy mall that included, among other delights, an Ace Hardware store, and second we went to a small bakery, Amanda, for pandan and brownie flavored cakes to take with us to Den’s hometown, Lhokseumawe.

After an uncomfortable 7-hour van ride, we arrived at our destination around 4 AM, just in time for breakfast. During the first few days of my trip, almost all Indonesians were celebrating Ramadan, the holiest month of the year, which requires all Muslims to fast from dawn to dusk (thus the early meal). One of the most impressive aspects of my stay here has been the dedication and religiosity of those around me. Not only did they earnestly fast during Ramadan, but they showed kindness in their daily actions and prayed seemingly incessantly (5 times a day).

While Indonesia is a moderate Islamic nation, Aceh province is the most conservative in the country, as it employs Sharia law. Dress here is very conservative, especially for women. In public, most women cover their heads with a hijab (although I’ve only seen one complete face veil) and wear long flowing robes. However, many women, especially younger girls, wear form-fitting clothes and some also abstain from wearing a headscarf. Men wear pants in public, and I’ve even been asked to wear jeans at home instead of shorts to appear more appropriate for guests celebrating Idul Fitri at Den’s home.

At the end of Ramadan, there is a mass exodus from Jakarta and other large cities as millions of Indonesians make their way home to celebrate Idul Fitri with their families in their homelands. Idul Fitri is a time to seek forgiveness from friends and family, a process that usually involves visiting the homes of neighbors to eat what I found to be very delicious snacks (spiced nuts, butter cookies, chocolate cookies, and pita chips).

After my diet of white rice and small portions of fried beef, pork, chicken, and vegetables in Cambodia, Indonesian cuisine has been a true blessing. Den’s parents have made delicious fried noodles and rendang for me, and I’ve enjoyed sampling other traditional foods like satay, nasi goring, and mie goreng (all of which I hear President Obama is quite fond). The food is flavorful and can be spicy.

During the holidays, Den made use of his time off to take me all around Lhokseumawe. I met his sister and in-laws with whom I explored the beach, fisheries, and a deserted mountain colony where workers who unearthed natural gas once lived. The mountain has all the things a modern town should like basketball and tennis courts, a market, a mosque, schools, and plenty of houses. However, since most of the gas has already been mined, most of these facilities go unused, leaving behind a privately owned ghost town which left me feeling as if I were wandering around the Dharma initiative in the middle of the jungle. The beach was beautiful, and I’m planning to go back tomorrow for a swim. Other stops on our adventure included Den’s university, coffee shops, food stalls, and a sensual traditional massage parlor.

An unfortunate turn of events has delayed my departure for Banda Aceh, but I’m still hoping to see the tsunami museum, grand mosque, and perhaps the beach during just the few hours I’ll have before my flight. It’s been a great vacation here in Aceh, and it’s mostly because of the great generosity and hospitality of Den and his family. I’m so thankful for everything they’ve done for me, andI hope to return again soon!

It’s my 23rd birthday today, and I really appreciate all the love and support I’ve been receiving. Thank you for your well wishes on my special day. I’m looking forward to another year full of travel, adventure, hard work, family, friends, and success!

PS: I don’t have the means to upload pictures now, but I promise to post them as soon as I’m home!

No comments:

Post a Comment