Sunday, March 24, 2013

Unexpected Connections

Every once in a while a letter will literally fall into your lap* and remind you that the world is truly smaller than it seems. In the past month, this happened twice, first with a letter and then with an e-mail.

Raising money for my school’s library development project was challenging in a number of ways, one being the lack of communication between Peace Corps and me about which people or organizations had already donated. In fact, it wasn’t until after the project was fully funded that I received a list of donors who had agreed to share their contact information with me. I was surprised to see one name on the list which I didn’t recognize, so I wrote to the donor to ask about his connection to Cambodia or literacy work.

The man responded that he was a representative of a Unitarian Universalist congregation in Pennsylvania which had decided to donate to my project because two of their members, Reed and James, had been doing some work in Cambodia, and their church was interested in social justice projects. After a second read of the e-mail, it hit me. I know James and Reed! We met at a dinner party hosted by the then chargĂ© d’affaires of the US embassy in Phnom Penh. I had collaborated with James to sing at the 4th of July celebration last year hosted by the embassy, and I had even just run into him again while on a private tour of the embassy last weekend.

As far as I know, the congregation knew nothing of my connection to James, but they still found my project online and donated generously to it. It seems so mysterious how the events played out. My mom kept telling me throughout the weeks I was seeking donations that the money would come, and indeed it did.

The other unexpected connection came in the form of a letter. One of the program managers of Peace Corps Cambodia called me a couple of weeks ago just as I was finishing my lessons at the high school. He had recently attended an overseas staff training in Washington, D.C., and he told me that he had met someone I know. I thought of my friends currently working in D.C. and wondered how he’d come into contact with one of them, but I was surprised when he said her name was Heather. I had no idea who he was talking about. After a few moments of trying to explain who she was, he said something about a map, and I understood immediately.

My first year at Carleton I had an extremely excellent residential assistant on the second floor of Myers Hall. Heather was fun, friendly, and adorable. She kept her door open with bricks which we had painted together as a floor bonding activity around the beginning of the year, and I often snuck around to spy on her or just say, “Hello.” We shared a few common interests like Spanish and Hillary Clinton, and at some point I decided to share my affection for her by giving her a map of the world.

About a year later, Heather messaged me to let me know that the map was hanging proudly in a school in Kazakhstan where she was serving as a Peace Corps Volunteer. Several months later, the Kazakhstan program closed unexpectedly, and Heather returned home. I hadn’t been in touch with her since then, but I remembered the map and knew it was her.

The program manager said he had a letter from her that he would place in my cubby in the Peace Corps lounge. Last week I was able to retrieve it and find one of the nicest and most thoughtful letters anyone has sent me. She included a powerful quote from The Ugly American which I read my sophomore year in high school in preparation for my youth exchange in Argentina.

          “The simple fact is, Mr. Ambassador, that average Americans, in their natural state, if you will excuse the phrase, are the best ambassadors a country can have,” Magsaysay said. “They are not suspicious, they are eager to share their skills, they are generous. But something happens to most Americans when they go abroad. Many of them are not average… they are second-raters. Many of them, against their own judgment, feel that they must live up to their own commissaries and big cars and cocktail parties. But get an unaffected American, sir, and you have an asset. And if you get one, treasure him – keep him out of the cocktail circuit, away from the bureaucrats, and let him work in his own way.”

The Ugly American by Eugene Burdick, The underlining is Heather’s

Heather continues in her letter:

          “For whatever reason, this was a pretty helpful/inspiring reminder while I was serving. I think particularly when I felt like I didn’t have much in the way of concrete skills or substance to give, it was helpful to remember that I was doing good by being genuine, eager, and generous.”

It meant so much to get Heather’s letter as a reminder of our friendship, but it also struck me how timely her message for me was. Nearing the end of my service, I’ve constantly questioned what good I’ve really done here. My impact seems so small in a country that appears impossible to change. Yet Heather is right, us volunteers do make a difference just by being here and being genuine, eager, and generous. We offer a different perspective, and we challenge the norm in hopes that our unseen ripples will manifest into greater change in the years ahead. We’re able to do that because we live humble lives as part of rural communities and families, not as bureaucrats in the business district of the capital.

To put it simply, the State Department, USAID, the embassy – they’re all about money, but the Peace Corps is about people. Human connections surround us and give our lives meaning. Although I’ll likely be a cocktail circuiting bureaucrat someday, I’d like to think that I’ll be a little less affected after this experience and that I’ll never forget the value of building personal relationships as a means of peace.

 
Painting brick doorstops with Heather 

 
2nd Myers Pirates

* (Fun Fact: Carleton College Choir Director Lawrence E. Burnett literally single-handedly changed the definition of the word “literally” to mean its exact opposite.)

No comments:

Post a Comment